Board of Education Powers and Duties
- The Board acts as the governing body of the public schools under the laws of the State of Ohio.
- Within the extent of its legal powers, the Board has responsibilities for operating the district in accordance with the desires of local citizens who elect its members.
The Board's Basic Responsibilities
- Employ and evaluate the Superintendent and Treasurer
- Determine and approve the annual budget and appropriations
- Provide needed facilities
- Provide the funds necessary to finance the District’s operations
- Consider, approve, or reject recommendations of the Superintendent in all matters pertaining to the operation of the District
- Require reports of the Superintendent concerning the conditions, efficiency, and needs of the District
- Evaluate the effectiveness with which the District is achieving the educational purposes of the Board
- Inform the public and weigh public opinion
- Adopt policies for the governance of the District and its employees and students
Resources: Ohio School Board Association (OSBA) 2006 New Board Member Workshops Ohio School Board Association (2013-2014). Boardmanship: A Handbook for School Board members. Columbus, OH: Ohio School Board Association