MHS Sportsmanship, Ethics and Integrity Campaign
Midview’s SEI Committee is sponsoring a “Sportsmanship Student of the Month” Award. Each month the committee recognizes one K-3 student and one 4-6 student form each elementary school, as well as a high school and middle school student. Each Sportsmanship Student of the Month winner receives a Midview sportsmanship t-shirt and a five-game sports pass. Athletic Director Creg Jantz delivers the awards and the students have their pictures posted on the website and in the local newspapers. Please visit In the News to view the Sportsmanship winners for each month.
Nominations are based upon one specific act or a culmination of things throughout the month. We are looking forward to honoring all the positive behaviors displayed by our true blue Middies!
Athletes Fair Play Code
- I will participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules and in the spirit of the game.
- I will control my temper since fighting and disrespect can spoil the activity for everyone.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to try to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything. Having fun, improving my skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays or performances by both my teammates and my opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions, show them respect and understand they have given their time to be with me.
Coaches Fair Play Code
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that young people have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials, and opponents.
- I will ensure that all athletes get equal instruction, support and opportunities.
- I will not ridicule my athletes for making mistakes or performing poorly. I will remember that young people play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will remember that young people need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes’ ages and abilities.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
Fans Fair Play Code
- I will remember that young people play sports for THEIR enjoyment, not to entertain me.
- I will not have unrealistic expectations and will understand that doing one’s best is as important as winning. I understand that ridiculing an athlete for making a mistake is not acceptable behavior.
- I will respect the officials’ decisions and will encourage all participants t do the same.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the coaches and understand that they have given their time to provide sport activities for our young people.
- I will encourage athletes and coaches to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence
- I will show respect for my team’s opponents because I realize there would be no game without them.
- I will not use bad language and will not harass athletes, coaches, officials or other spectators.
- I will always show good sportsmanship since young people learn best by example.
(Provided courtesy of the Ohio High School Athletic Association)