Midview West Elementary School Recognized as a Purple Star School:
The Midview Local School District is excited to announce that Midview West Elementary School recently received the Purple Star Award, which recognizes schools that demonstrate a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Midview West Elementary is one of only 36 schools in all of Ohio to receive this designation, and Midview Local School District is one of only two districts in Lorain County to have schools be awarded this honor. As part of the award, the elementary school will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display onsite.
The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, determines schools’ eligibility for the award. To be eligible, military-friendly schools must meet state-mandated requirements. They include:
- Having a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between families and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law (which can be obtained via the Military Children in Ohio’s Schools course on the ODE learning management system).
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
- Maintaining a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
In addition to the above requirements, schools must complete at least one of the activities listed below to be eligible for a Purple Star Award.
- The school offers professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.
“At Midview Local Schools, we are honored to be able to help our military families and students in any way that we can, and for Midview West Elementary to be recognized as a Purple Star School is a true testament to the dedication of their staff,” said Superintendent Dr. Bruce Willingham. “Our service members sacrifice so much for our country and their families, so it is our honor to ensure they have access to the resources they need to acclimate to our schools.”
The Purple Star Award is a three-year designation, meaning Midview West Elementary will maintain its Purple Star status until 2023.