Midview West Elementary
13080 Durkee Road
Grafton, OH 44044
Phone: 440-748-2305 Fax: 440-748-4032
The Midview Local School District believes that the health and safety of our students is of utmost importance. We continually strive to maintain a healthy and safe school atmosphere for all students. Because of this we will be implementing some food and snack guidelines for students, teachers, and parents to follow this upcoming school year.
We recognize that due to the increasing prevalence of food allergies and other health issues affecting our students we must be proactive and do our part to protect everyone by monitoring the food, snacks, and treats that are consumed in our schools. Because of this the following guidelines were implemented:
- If your child would like to share something for his/her birthday, we kindly ask you send in a non-food item with your child. (Non–food ideas include: pencil, stickers, or eraser) (PLEASE: NO BALLOONS!!!)
- No cupcakes, brownies, cookies, candy etc. will be permitted for birthdays.
- If any type of food item is sent into school, it will be sent back home with the child. No exceptions.
- Students in grades K-4 participate in holiday parties for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day. Treats and snacks WILL BE permitted on the scheduled party days. However, all food must be store bought and pre-packaged.
- No homemade food items will be allowed for parties. This way, food labels can be referred to if need be.
- The school will continue to provide a treat for the holiday parties.
- NO glass items or balloons of any kind may be used in/for party games or crafts.
Personal Snacks and Lunch
- Individual students may still bring homemade or home-baked foods for personal snacks, lunches, etc. However, sharing of these snacks or passing out snacks to others will not be permitted.
Miscellaneous Classroom Activities
- Classroom parties will not serve soda-pop to students. Water, juice, capri suns, juice boxes, or milk should be served.
- When classroom lunch parties are planned, students will have the option to pack a lunch or buy from the cafeteria. Teachers will notify parents ahead of time when a food party is planned and what will be served to students.
We understand that these modifications will bring some changes to special events and parties in the classroom and school, but we feel it is essential in order to provide a safe environment for ALL students. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact your child’s principal.
- There may be preplanned activities that support a unit of study (ie. Making applesauce for Johnny Appleseed Day, Thanksgiivng Feast, etc). If this is planned for the classroom, parents will be notified prior to the activity taking place. This does NOT include birthdays.
Mrs. Patricia Hamilton, Principal