Open Enrollment will begin on May 1, 2020 at 8AM and will remain active for a period of 30 days. In order to be considered for Open Enrollment, an application must be filled out for each individual student each school year and submitted by the student’s legal guardian within the 30-day time frame that the application window is active. Filling out an application does not guarantee that a student will be accepted into the district. Space is limited and students will be considered based upon current staffing and the time in which an application was filled out and submitted by the legal guardian. The Open Enrollment application for the 2020-2021 school year is digital and can be found under LINKS to the right of this page. If you have any questions about Open Enrollment, please contact Enrollment at [email protected]
or call the district offices at (440) 748-5353.
ADMISSION OF INTERDISTRICT TRANSFER STUDENTS
The Board permits any student from any other district in the state to apply and enroll in the District schools free of any tuition obligation, provided that all procedures as outlined in the administrative regulations are met. Requirements include:
1. application procedures, including deadlines for application and notification to students of acceptance or rejection and the superintendents of other districts whenever another district’s student’s application is approved;
2. procedures for admission;
3. District capacity limits by grade level, school building and educational program are determined;
4. resident students and previously enrolled District students have preference over first-time applicants;
5. no requirements of academic, athletic, artistic or any other skill or proficiency;
6. no limitations on admitting students with disabilities, unless services required in an Individualized Education Program are not available in the District;
7. no requirement that the student be proficient in the English language;
8. no rejection of any applying student because the student has been subject to disciplinary proceedings, except an applicant who has been suspended or expelled by another district for 10 consecutive days or more in the term for which admission is sought or in the term immediately preceding the term for which admission is sought and
9. procedures to ensure maintenance of an appropriate racial balance in the District’s schools.
The District cannot refuse to accept the credits earned by students who have participated in interdistrict open enrollment. The Board will not adopt a policy that discourages resident students from participating in interdistrict open enrollment.
Students in grades 9-12 are ineligible for athletics for the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests in the sports the student participated in during the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer, until the one-year anniversary date of enrollment in the school the student transferred to. Exceptions to the ineligibility provisions are outlined in the Ohio High School Athletic Association Bylaws.
[Adoption date: May 23, 2018]
LEGAL REFS.: ORC 3313.97; 3313.98